[scribus-dev] Thank you Scribus developers!

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Jan 12 14:53:25 CET 2011

On 01/12/2011 12:52 AM, RhinoKitty wrote:

> The expected behavior that (just one user, but hopefully it helps) she
> was looking for was to click on a large icon that says "Download" in
> large font, perhaps to have an EXE automatically download.  Also
> acceptable would be to click on a download icon and be directed to one
> to three options on a subpage, that ask for your operating system.
>
> I think making a best guess at what the user will want when visiting the
> webpage to download is worth it, to increase adoption of the software.
> If people are being driven off by usability before they download the
> software, you are surely missing more valuable user feedback that could
> be given by someone who has the software installed already.

the "expected behavior" is something Microsoft has carefully cultivated
to induce an artificial (and we would have to say, unfounded) trust in
Windows/MS to "do the right thing", as well as make sure that Windows
users learn as little as possible about what's going on.

(one of the things about computer viruses is that they "just work"™)

I do think that we can do more to perhaps show some example screenshots
of what Windows and MacOS users can expect when they venture to
Sourceforge. The Scribus sites have had some major upheaval lately, but
perhaps now things are quieting down.

I just have to find out where users seem to be directed to see if I can
intercept them before they get to Sourceforge. It's really a matter of
finding the right link to click, after which the download and
installation should be pretty familiar to Windows users.