[scribus-dev] Suggestion for new "Table" menu layout/content

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 08:58:33 UTC 2011

2011/8/9 a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>:
> hi elvis,
>
> - personally, i'd prefer only one level of submenus (it can be hard to
> navigation through a hierarchical context menu) and separate the sections
> through lines (as you're doing)

Noted.

> - always allow actions on rows and columns, even if only one single column
> is selected

Hence the "(*) One or more..." in my original mail :) In my mind, the
insert operations for rows/columns should always be available:

If just the table is selected, but not in editing mode (i.e. no cell
is selected and the cursor is not in any specific cell), then these
actions should allow the user to insert rows/columns at the end of
table or beginning of table (radio button).

If one or more cells are selected, or if the cursor is in a cell, then
these action should allow the user to insert rows/columns before or
after the row(s) or column(s) that are selected/edited.

When it comes to the delete actions, perhaps they should always be
enabled and behave in a similar way, but the way I imagined it, they
would only be enabled if one or more cells are selected, or if the
cursor is in a cell.

> - will it be possible to add single cells? not sure if the added complexity
> (both in GUI and code) is worth the feature

How do you imagine that would work? Adding a cell implies adding a new
row and column.

> - i've removed the style editing... we will have to introduce a way to add
> and update styles from the context menu scribus... but it would be nice to
> do it in a consistent way... and i'm not sure if this is the topic of your
> GSOC :-)

Right I did put a question mark after than one since I wasn't sure if
that's something we'd want. The idea was that the action would bring
up the SM with the style of the table pre-selected.

> - the current "sections" are ok... but i think that we can also reduce them
> to three (structure, size, table size)

Okay.

> - i've moved a couple of (s)s :-)

See comments below.

>  Set Row(s) Height...
>  Set Column(s) Width...
>  Adjust Row(s) Height to Content

These are not correct English. E.g. taking away the parenthesis on the
first, it would be "Set Rows Height".

It would possibly be correct if the s were a possesive 's.

What you're changing with these actions are sets of row heights, so I
think it should be left as: "Set Row Height(s)", where the s is an
optional plural s, not a possesive s.

But I think we should consider not putting in any plural s:es at all,
or to always put them in (without parenteses), since it looks kind of
cluttered. I believe InDesign has chosen to not have any s:es, even
for actions that can work on several rows/columns.

> the menu is not so long that it would really need submenus...

I think I agree.

Thanks for your input!

Elvis