[scribus-dev] Suggestion for new "Table" menu layout/content

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Tue Aug 9 08:27:07 UTC 2011

hi elvis,

- personally, i'd prefer only one level of submenus (it can be hard to
navigation through a hierarchical context menu) and separate the
sections through lines (as you're doing)
- always allow actions on rows and columns, even if only one single
column is selected
- will it be possible to add single cells? not sure if the added
complexity (both in GUI and code) is worth the feature
- i've removed the style editing... we will have to introduce a way to
add and update styles from the context menu scribus... but it would be
nice to do it in a consistent way... and i'm not sure if this is the
topic of your GSOC :-)
- the current "sections" are ok... but i think that we can also reduce
them to three (structure, size, table size)
- i've moved a couple of (s)s :-)

so, here is my "enhanced" proposal:

Table>
   Insert Row(s)...
   Insert Column(s)...
   Delete Row(s)
   Delete Column(s)
   Merge Cells (**)
   Split Cell(s) (*)
   ---
   Set Row(s) Height...
   Set Column(s) Width...
   Distribute Rows Evenly (***)
   Distribute Columns Evenly (****)
   Adjust Row(s) Height to Content
   ---
   Adjust Table to Frame
   Adjust Frame to Table

These actions are active when a table item is selected or, as
indicated by the stars, when

(*) One or more cells is/are selected or when editing content of single cell.
(**) Two or more cells are selected.
(***) Area of cells spanning>1 row is selected.
(****) Area of cells spanning>1 column is selected.

the menu is not so long that it would really need submenus...

ciao
a.l.e