[scribus-dev] Who is going to kill the style dialog ?

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Sat Oct 30 23:16:07 CEST 2010

On 10/30/10 8:08 PM, Louis Desjardins wrote:

> 2010/10/30 Jean Ghali <jghali at libertysurf.fr
> <mailto:jghali at libertysurf.fr>>
>
>     Louis Desjardins a écrit :
>     > Hi guys,
>     >
>     > Currently trying to get something out of 1.3.8 on a Mac.
>     >
>     > Are we really going to get out of the mud of this text engine ?
>     out of
>     > the mud of this style dialog ?
>     >
>     > Hey ?!?!
>     >
>     > Set type.
>     >
>     > Three basic settings...
>     >
>     > 1. Type.
>     >
>     > 2. Typsesize.
>     >
>     > 3. Leading.
>     >
>     > Now, where are they ?
>     >
>     > Type and typesize on the next tab...
>     >
>     > Leading on the first tab...
>     >
>     > No compliments. It does not work. It does not make any sense.
>     >
>     > Yes, I know. I should know how to code.
>     >
>     > Louis, get out of your comfort zone and start coding.
>     >
>     > Can we simply get rid of this dialog and have the style created
>     at right
>     > hand click ? Bug 300 or so by Lyam, back in 2004 or something.
>     >
>     > Please do us a favor and kill this dialog.
>     >

>     I think everyone agrees there is much to say about current style
>     dialog. Unfortunately the
>     complaint cited here shows a lack of functionnality analysis. Why
>     leading is a character
>     property in Indesign/QuarkXPress? Because they have the capability
>     to control that setting
>     at line level. Scribus has currently no such capability.
>     Consequently placing leading
>     control in character style dialog would misrepresent Scribus
>     functionnalities and makes
>     currently no sense.
>

> Does that explain why there is currently a tab split in the paragraph
> style to put in different tabs the typesize and the linespacing? I
> don’t think that they should be splitted, first. There are characters
> attributes to a paragraph style. But maybe this is not how it’s
> programmed. But from the user’s perspective, there is a need not to
> have to run in circles into a dialog to set something, look elsewhere,
> try to find settings that work together and that are related. It makes
> no real sense to set type and typesize without a linespacing value. So
> why put those on separate tabs?

Louis, that interface has been like that for a few years now.

Given those that can probably change this are working on the OIF
project, I don't understand why you are complaining about this now.

Still, I 100% agree with Jean.. functionality and usability analysis
needs doing properly before we will change anything.