[scribus-dev] Who is going to kill the style dialog ?

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 20:08:12 CEST 2010

2010/10/30 Jean Ghali <jghali at libertysurf.fr>

> Louis Desjardins a écrit :
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Currently trying to get something out of 1.3.8 on a Mac.
> >
> > Are we really going to get out of the mud of this text engine ? out of
> > the mud of this style dialog ?
> >
> > Hey ?!?!
> >
> > Set type.
> >
> > Three basic settings...
> >
> > 1. Type.
> >
> > 2. Typsesize.
> >
> > 3. Leading.
> >
> > Now, where are they ?
> >
> > Type and typesize on the next tab...
> >
> > Leading on the first tab...
> >
> > No compliments. It does not work. It does not make any sense.
> >
> > Yes, I know. I should know how to code.
> >
> > Louis, get out of your comfort zone and start coding.
> >
> > Can we simply get rid of this dialog and have the style created at right
> > hand click ? Bug 300 or so by Lyam, back in 2004 or something.
> >
> > Please do us a favor and kill this dialog.
> >

> I think everyone agrees there is much to say about current style dialog.
> Unfortunately the
> complaint cited here shows a lack of functionnality analysis. Why leading
> is a character
> property in Indesign/QuarkXPress? Because they have the capability to
> control that setting
> at line level. Scribus has currently no such capability. Consequently
> placing leading
> control in character style dialog would misrepresent Scribus
> functionnalities and makes
> currently no sense.

Does that explain why there is currently a tab split in the paragraph style
to put in different tabs the typesize and the linespacing? I don’t think
that they should be splitted, first. There are characters attributes to a
paragraph style. But maybe this is not how it’s programmed. But from the
user’s perspective, there is a need not to have to run in circles into a
dialog to set something, look elsewhere, try to find settings that work
together and that are related. It makes no real sense to set type and
typesize without a linespacing value. So why put those on separate tabs?

Louis