[scribus-dev] Fwd: [Podofo-users] PoDoFo Architecture Changes - FYI

peter linnell plinnell at scribus.info
Mon Oct 18 19:57:55 CEST 2010

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Podofo-users] PoDoFo Architecture Changes
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 19:19:34 +0200
From: Dominik Seichter <domseichter at web.de>
To: podofo-users at lists.sourceforge.net

Hi Guys,

I would like to discuss some changes I made today in a separate branch [0].
My change today splits PoDoFo into two libraries:
* podofo-base - which contains all the basic datatypes and low level
parsing
infrastructure
* podofo-doc - high level features such as PdfDocument, PdfPainter or
PdfAnnotation

This change has in my opinion several advantages:
- If you only need basic features (e.g. Scribus for Adobe Illustrator files
import), you can just link to podofo-base
- Smaller dependencies sets, please see the attached PNG for an overview of
dependencies. PoDoFo-base does only depend on zlib and libjpeg for
compression
filters.
- Easier maintanence, as we have a cleaner structure inside of the
project and
two libraries which can be tested independently. I will split up the unit
tests project later.
- No changes for external projects, just include <podofo.h> and everything
will be the same for you. You only link to libpodofo-doc instead of
libpodofo.

I would suggest the following release plan:
- Do one more release of PoDoFo 0.8.x from current trunk
- After the release, merge the changes from the branch into trunk and
continue
development of PoDoFo 0.9.x with the new structure.

What do you think of the new structure? Do these changes cause problems for
anyone of you, who is using PoDoFo? Do you have suggestions on how the
structure can be further improved?

Best regards,
	Dom

[0]