[scribus-dev] Scribus documentation translations temporarily removed from builds

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Tue Nov 30 23:14:48 CET 2010

On 11/30/10 11:09 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 02:24 PM, Louis Desjardins wrote:
>>
>> I am not too sure to understand either just how the doc workflow works.
>>
>> Can we translate the doc? can we help write it? can this job be on a
>> wiki? (so we can work on it step by step, from time to time, alone or in
>> a group of people). How can we improve the doc workflow, in fact.
>
> Anyone can translate the docs. Simply pull them out of their location
> and edit away. Usually what I see people do on the wiki, which makes
> sense, is to copy the original, then stepwise work through the html
> file paragraph by paragraph, leaving the tags other structure in place
> as you go.
>
> The structure of the docs directories and files is pretty
> straightforward, as is the XML file that forms the index. I have sent
> Christoph anything I make, since he has commit rights and I don't.

As Greg says, anyone can get at the SVN files.. so anyone can translate.
This has *always* been the case. Volunteers are few and far between, and
this is nothing new. Expecting documenters or translators to just start
working is unreasonable and is just not going to happen.

I suppose what Christoph and Greg (ie, the primary authors, add more if
more help) need to tag the files somehow to say if they are finished for
1.4. There's little point in translating them until that point, and
there is very little chance of re-use of the translations after 1.4 has
gone out and 1.5 becomes our focus as they will not apply to 1.5.