[scribus-dev] OIF / text engine

Pierre Marchand pierremarc at oep-h.com
Mon Nov 29 13:13:25 CET 2010

2010/11/27 Osama Khalid <osamak at gnu.org>:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 02:13:26PM +0100, Pierre Marchand wrote:
>> Hopefully the "export to image" still works in OIF branch!
>> Here are 2 pages to show what the new text engine can do with arabic
>> on which it would be useful to have feedback.
>
> That's nice, Pierre! The writing is good and the font is shown very
> well, but the actual words are messed up, they aren't in a meaningful
> order (or may the original source is random words?) Also, is the right
> alignment working well with right-to-left languages?

Hi Osama,

Right alignment is not there yet (though it's essentially the same
process as left alignment) and I have the idea that we shouldn't
change the meaning of Right & Left when speaking of alignment when the
context is of a RTL script.

The text used for BiDi testing can be found here
http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/samples/arabic.html

The text used for the other test is the one that Scribus provides as a
lorem ipsum for arabic.

I must say I'm totally unable  to read or write these texts and I just
check the Scribus output against output in OpenOffice or Firefox, so I
don't know if the text is meaningful or not. If you could provide some
actual text and its well rendered form (the latter as an image), it
would help a lot.

Thanks for your interest

> Please note that I'm not a publisher, and I have no experience in
> using Scribus but I will be happy to perform any tests needed and give
> feedbacks.
>
> Thank you for what you do!
>
> --
> Osama Khalid
> English-to-Arabic translator and programmer.
> http://osamak.wordpress.com | http://tinyogg.com

Pierre Marchand
+32 484 184 435
http://www.oep-h.com