[scribus-dev] Scribus documentation translations temporarily removed from builds

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 03:44:36 CET 2010

2010/11/28 Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com>

> [...]
> > efficiently.
>
> We in Audacity project have some C++ code for that.
>
> Below goes quote of mail from Dam Horgan who implemented it last year.
>
> --- snip ---
>
> Hello all,
>
> As you know I've been working on making screenshots scriptable. It turned
> out
> when I started looking at this that some of what needed to be done was not
> specific to screenshots, so I decided to take a slight detour to work on
> the
> commands system. This meant it took a bit longer than I had planned, but I
> think it will provide a more solid basis for allowing other areas of
> Audacity
> to be scripted.
>
> Here's the commit message with some explanation:
>
> // Begin commit message //
>
> This update provides improved structure for the commands system and adds a
> command for taking screenshots. The screenshot tools dialog is modified to
> use
> the command, and the command is made available to scripts.
>
> The commands system now has a system of parameters which allows
> type-checking
> and validation of data passed in by a script. This is necessary for more
> useful
> error messages to be returned than can be provided by the batch chain
> system.
>
> Each command class has a 'signature' consisting of a map from parameter
> name to
> a 'validator' and a default value. The validator is an object which is
> capable
> of checking that a provided value is acceptable.
>
> Commands also now can use abstract 'output targets' which mean progress
> information and status messages can be dealt with in different ways without
> the
> commands having to be directly concerned with e.g. displaying a progress
> dialog.
>
> The screenshot command takes three parameters: CaptureMode, Background, and
> FilePath. See the test script for usage examples.  The behaviour of the
> command
> should be close to how the dialog worked - and the dialog *should* work
> approximately the same as it did before. Those familiar with the previous
> behaviour of the dialog might want to test it and report any regressions to
> me.
>
> One thing I did change was to comment out the contents of the OnUIUpdate
> method - it caused everything to slow to a halt on my machine whenever the
> screenshot tools dialog was open. There's probably a good reason for its
> being
> there, so let me know if it should go back in.
>
> // End commit message //
>
> Oh, and I forgot to mention that there's one new .cpp added:
> commands/ScreenshotCommand.cpp
> so that will need to be added to the win & mac projects (I still need to

To be honest, I have followed the reasoning but I am not familiar with the
details so I can only hope that if that doesn’t export well to other
projects, it gives enough fuel to get into it anyway. There is a need, that
is clear. Pumping dialog screenshots *is* time consuming and is not very
much fun. In translations, it makes a huge difference for the rest of the
world.

Cheers!

Louis