[scribus-dev] Scribus documentation translations temporarily removed from builds

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 23:43:46 CET 2010

2010/11/28 Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>

> On 11/28/2010 02:53 PM, Louis Desjardins wrote:
>

>> However before stating on the advantages of the printed version I would
>> like to know how many books were sold and did we gather significant
>> comments that would help us understand better the needs of those people?
>> If only to make the Manual better, then why not!
>>
>> I think we are not that far away from consensus around the solid doc and
>> the virtual doc. One thing I would like to see happen is the automated
>> production of screenshots for any localization of Scribus. There is a
>> need for such work as creating screenshots is pretty time consuming. If
>> we automate the process we will help translators do their work more
>> efficiently.
>>

> I think we received enough feedback, and saw enough reviews to know that we
> did a good job and that for some the manual is indispensable. As we began
> the first edition, and only moreso later, we realized that no matter how
> good an online manual or a wiki can be, it's a very different format that
> simply can't be as complete (and useful) as the printed manual can be.
>
> If anything, we have learned the value of having some background
> information, other kinds of information about DTP, color, and so on, and
> these are perfect things for a printed book.

I would suggest we have a section in color. Be it 8 pages, 16 pages or even
32 pages.

> The work being done on the online manual is to some extent in parallel with
> some ideas for print, but as you can see, the online material is much more
> compact so that what someone is looking for can be found quickly.

What about a multi-media publication that would allow online help to be
printed? The source is always the web.

> We will need to find a way to easily incorporate updates to the online docs
> as translations happen.

Actually, we can make them happen at least for a couple of languages that
are largely spoken.

> I can certainly help with screenshots, but would like to see translators
> make the effort on the text, the more important part.

There is a way to automate the production of screenshots. The resulting
images can be stored, each group into its own language. There are tools to
help achieve that.

Cheers!

Louis