[scribus-dev] Scribus documentation translations temporarily removed from builds

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 12:32:11 CET 2010

2010/11/9 Craig Bradney <cbradney at scribus.info>

> On 09/11/2010, at 8:01 AM, "a.l.e" <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:
>
> > hi christoph,
> >
> > as i've already stated i feel a urgent need to see 1.4 released.
> >
> > the documentation is certainly an important part of the scribus
> experience, but -- to me -- in the current state of the project, the team
> should focus in getting a stable code out and working.
> >
> > so, my reaction: hopefully this effort won't affect any other task!
> >
> > i'd really love to see a planned release 1.4.1 which will follow short
> after 1.4. with all the updated documentation, the new color palettes and
> other goodies which make scribus more shiny but are not affecting the
> scribus core functionality.
> >

> > and if parts of the doc are too outdated, simply remove the parts which
> don't fit and add it again into 1.4.1.
> >

> > just my 2c
> >
> > ciao
> > a.l.e
> >

> Hi
>
> Since when did Christoph code, never, so why would this affect Scribus
> code?

Hi Craig,

You are right on that point but the issue Ale is raising is will the doc
update slow down the release of 1.4?

We have this bug in the bugtracker:
http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=9519

I share Ale’s view that we should not refrain from releasing 1.4 even with
an outdated documentation.

Of course this is debatable. The point here is if the doc updating pace is
not following closely the code pace, should the code have presedence? I
think that yes. This does not mean I don’t believe we should have a strong
doc. But it can be updated downstream. And opened to translation.

I also take the opportunity to open a discussion about the importance of a
hard copy Scribus Official Manual considering what happened with the first
edition. I think the doc should be entirely dynamic and as close as possible
to the code. This can be achieved in various ways but the online help is
certainly one way to go. If someone wants to have a printed copy then we
could manage to find a way of exporting the data to a Scribus template that
would be printable. I like books. But I do not support the idea of a printed
Official Manual anymore. We need to concentrate on the content and make
those files available for translation asap. This is a real need. We can have
support for this. Anyway, I am always opened to be convinced of the
contrary. But let’s not slow down the releae of 1.4.

Cheers!

Louis