[scribus-dev] Undo/Redo idea for text editing

Cezary Grabski czarek at oferuje.pl
Thu Nov 25 13:30:14 CET 2010

Hi all.
Undo/Redo in text editing is one of big lost features in Scribus.

I have some idea, but I must notice, that I don't know how UndoManager is
working now and if my idea is able to implement in it.

1. on entering editing text mode - state of FT content is saved in UM
2. on specific actions new state is saved - eg. SPACE char inserted,
cut/paste, applying paragraph and char styles, change of cursor position by
mouse (maybe customizable in preferences for tuning for used machine
calculation power?)
3. quiting edit mode - FT content state is saved

In Preferences abbility to set Undo levels and maybe even to disable whole
feature (who will want to disable it?) for text editing (saving whole frame
contents may take some time and memmory on thin machines working with big
StoryText).

Another idea is to save some kind of diffs after each insert or delete char
between of whole state savings.

What you are thinking about this?