[scribus-dev] Who is going to kill the style dialog ?

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Mon Nov 1 02:24:48 CET 2010

On Monday 01 November 2010 00:28:09 Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 10/31/2010 07:22 PM, Christoph Schäfer wrote:
> > First, I want to reiterate that the Style Manager in its current
> > incarnation needs a rewrite. It's too big, the UI is unintuitive, and
> > worst of all, it's full of bugs.
> >
> > One thing I like about the concept, though, is the separation of
> > Paragraph and Character Styles, because this allows for some quite
> > sophisticated use of styles and style hierarchies. On the other hand,
> > Louis's remark that font size and line spacing are connected is without
> > a doubt valid. We will have to see how to solve this, once the OIF work
> > on the text engine has been finished.
>
> The separations of various settings for Paragraph and Character styles
> may make some sense, but since a Character style is a subset of a
> Paragraph style,

Yes and no. A paragraph style can use a character style, but the latter can
also be applied separately, independent of a paragraph style.

> you should be able to see all these settings when you
> work with a Paragraph style, rather than needing to jump between tabs in
> the dialog.

Agreed, but before we redesign the SM, we'll have to see what the rewrite of
the text engine brings and what this means in terms of space needed in the
dialog. One thing that would already help as a guideline is to move to a more
horizontal layout, since that's how screens are designed and used most of the
time. We are currently wasting space with our vertical approach.

Christoph