[scribus-dev] Scribus versioning

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Mon Jun 7 21:42:29 CEST 2010

On 6/6/10 11:23 PM, a.l.e wrote:
> hi
>

>> What do you think about changing the *release* versioning to 1.4 Beta
>> 1 (=1.3.8) and 1.4 Beta 2 (=1.3.9)?
>>
>> Internal build numbers should be irrelevant, and changing the version
>> number would help us to get rid of the confusing 1.3.x denotations:
>>
>> - 1.3.3.14 (dead)
>> - 1.4 (Beta until officially released)
>> - 1.5svn (Experimental until it becomes 1.6 or 2.0 Beta 1)
>>
> i think that it's not a good idea to have beta version out for months... google can afford it, but i'm not sure we can...
>
> imo, 1.3.8 to 1.3.9 are not the problem, the problem is that we still have 1.3.3.14 as a stable version: we should get rid of it as soon as possible, not play with names and number schemes.

Agree.. makes no difference to once single soul.

> on another register, what i'd like to see, is a "binding" list of bugs to be fixed before 1.4 can be released, mentioning who, how and when is gonna fix them.
> you should also list the fields where you need external help: the better you describe the problems, the easier it is for people to step in.

Whatever is on the roadmap now for 1.3.x->1.4.0 (assuming we don't knock
any off due to not being possible with this codebase when we review them
soon), plus any that appear that we think must be fixed.
> and since we are talking about future releases of scribus, what do *I* dream of?
>

> i'd like to see 1.6 out as soon as possible.
>
> 1.5svn already has several features which deserve to be published!
> after the discussions we had at the LGM, i guess there are now slightly more chances to see the text engine being "finished" in a foreseeable future. i don't know what your goals for 1.6 are, but the text engine reaching a stable state should imo trigger the release of 1.6 (maybe also with almost full undo support).
> personally, i'd like our secret "UI task force" to target that release.
> is fall 2011 realistic?
>

> further on: 1.8 with tables, first bits for complex script languages  implemented (something like initial support for arab and hindi?) and color spaces. spring 2012?

I expect tables to arrive next, given we have 2 people working on it
over the next 6-9 months.