[scribus-dev] Scribus versioning

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sun Jun 6 23:23:04 CEST 2010

hi

> What do you think about changing the *release* versioning to 1.4 Beta
> 1 (=1.3.8) and 1.4 Beta 2 (=1.3.9)?
>
> Internal build numbers should be irrelevant, and changing the version
> number would help us to get rid of the confusing 1.3.x denotations:
>
> - 1.3.3.14 (dead)
> - 1.4 (Beta until officially released)
> - 1.5svn (Experimental until it becomes 1.6 or 2.0 Beta 1)

i think that it's not a good idea to have beta version out for months... google can afford it, but i'm not sure we can...

imo, 1.3.8 to 1.3.9 are not the problem, the problem is that we still have 1.3.3.14 as a stable version: we should get rid of it as soon as possible, not play with names and number schemes.

on another register, what i'd like to see, is a "binding" list of bugs to be fixed before 1.4 can be released, mentioning who, how and when is gonna fix them.
you should also list the fields where you need external help: the better you describe the problems, the easier it is for people to step in.

and since we are talking about future releases of scribus, what do *I* dream of?

i'd like to see 1.6 out as soon as possible.

1.5svn already has several features which deserve to be published!
after the discussions we had at the LGM, i guess there are now slightly more chances to see the text engine being "finished" in a foreseeable future. i don't know what your goals for 1.6 are, but the text engine reaching a stable state should imo trigger the release of 1.6 (maybe also with almost full undo support).
personally, i'd like our secret "UI task force" to target that release.
is fall 2011 realistic?

further on: 1.8 with tables, first bits for complex script languages  implemented (something like initial support for arab and hindi?) and color spaces. spring 2012?

personally, i'd like to see 2.0 as the first version which has a solid support for complex script languages and optimization for size in PDF produced for the the web. late 2012?
Those would for me two big reasons justifying the major version step!

(in my dreams, 2.2 will be the version with transparency flattening in PDF).

i had a dream... and now it's time to go to sleep...

ciao ciao
a.l.e