[scribus-dev] Research study on Scribus

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Apr 11 17:25:55 CEST 2010

On 04/09/2010 01:02 AM, freedom forme wrote:
> Hello
> I went through Scribus it is very much interesting .The concept of
> open XML based file format is fascinated me.So I want to learn more
> about Open XML file format.I want to develop a small application and I
> want to integrate .sla file format to it .As I do not have any idea
> about XML file formats can any give me suggestions to do this thing OR
> can any one tell me how to approach to this problem.
I think you would have to say that the .sla format is XML-like. At least
the last time I checked, it does show itself to be well-formed XML, and
can be parsed, but generally it doesn't show such a clear layout as you
may see with many other XML files. I'm not sure if you rearranged the
files in something like a tree format that Scribus would still
understand them.

There are some pages on the Scribus sites that explain (to some degree)
the format. If you want to understand it, I'm afraid it's mostly going
to be a matter of going through the files to try to understand for
yourself what does what. If you have no understanding of XML at all,
then you have your work cut out for you.

Having said all this, you should be able to see that the files are
arranged in sections. You might look at the file of an empty document
just to see something like the bare minimum (or at least the default
minimum) of content.