[scribus-dev] Fwd: capturing Scribus crashes in Fedora

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed Nov 25 15:58:55 CET 2009

hi dan,

> maybe you have noticed that Fedora started to use a distro wide system
> called ABRT for capturing and reporting of application crashes (the
> reports can include full stack trace and also a coredump can be
> available, all made with debug infos installed). This opens a question
> how much useful is the internal crash handler in Scribus. I got 3
> crashes reported until now (from 1.3.5.1, 2 were duplicates), but what
> was captured was a "secondary" crash in the EmergencySave() method
> leading to backtraces/coredumps of questionable value. I know I have
> too little data for real conclusions, but I think the EmergencySave
> doesn't work as intended and disabling the internal handler could
> provide more usable information. What do you think about that?

on the one side, running scribus inside of a debugger (gdb) has proven to be a very efficient way to tell the devs, where the problem is.

on the other side, i know of very few cases, where mentioning the error number has been helpful in tracking the cause of the crash. i fear that reporting the error number has caused more puzzling among the users than it has helped the devs to solve bugs...
i wonder if it wouldn't be better to remove that number

what i think would be nice is to package the unstable and development versions of scribus with debugging enabled and enhance the "sorry, i crashed" dialog with a link to a web page explaining how to run scribus inside of gdb.

finally, since scribus developers have limited (time) resources, i don't know if a real crash handler is realistic...

> One bug was transfered to Scribus bugtracker -
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=8595

thanks!

have fun
a.l.e