[scribus-dev] Fwd: capturing Scribus crashes in Fedora

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Wed Nov 25 07:15:55 CET 2009

Betreff: capturing Scribus crashes in Fedora
Datum: Montag, 23. November 2009
Von: Dan Horák <dan at danny.cz>
An: Christoph Schäfer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de>

Hi Christoph,

maybe you have noticed that Fedora started to use a distro wide system
called ABRT for capturing and reporting of application crashes (the
reports can include full stack trace and also a coredump can be
available, all made with debug infos installed). This opens a question
how much useful is the internal crash handler in Scribus. I got 3
crashes reported until now (from 1.3.5.1, 2 were duplicates), but what
was captured was a "secondary" crash in the EmergencySave() method
leading to backtraces/coredumps of questionable value. I know I have too
little data for real conclusions, but I think the EmergencySave doesn't
work as intended and disabling the internal handler could provide more
usable information. What do you think about that?

One bug was transfered to Scribus bugtracker -
http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=8595

With regrads,
Dan

PS: the stable release package is still waiting for review, it's a
process that depends on volunteers, but it looks like I need to put some
pressure there.