[scribus-dev] release notes

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Nov 20 18:31:25 CET 2009

On 11/20/2009 08:51 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> dear team,
> dear developpers,
>
> last week i had the luck to see the release notes for fedora 12:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_one_page_release_notes
>
> W O W!
> i'd like the scribus release announce for 1.4 (and future stable releases) to look like this!
> if there is some sort of agreement on it, i'm willing to coordinate such a work if nobody else wants to do it.

Let's say I'm less than wow'd by this link.
Some criticisms:

1. It seems they decided that each little text-blob needed its own
image, so we have a general presence of rather inane and uninformative
pictures, each I guess not necessarily unattractive, but creating a
geometric increase in the need to scroll down the page. At least they
didn't divide this up into a series of linked pages.

2. Assuming that the pictures were included without any pressure, I
don't know that as a user I find any great merit in seeing various
people who have worked on fedora depicted on the page, especially when I
don't know whether they actually do anything of interest to me or not. A
link to their bios with pics might suffice. This having been said, I
think it would be nice to have some pics of the Scribus team on our site.

3. One of their illustrations shows inkscape doing a job that many of
_US_ would say would be more easily done with Scribus -- where's our
screenshot? (more of a complaint from perspective) I also didn't see DTP
specifically mentioned in the text -- don't they like us?

In summary, I would say that this is a clean layout, not especially
creative, much larger than it needs to be for a webpage, and with a
mixture of content which is of modest interest with other content of
little to no interest and of low information content.

Disclaimer: This is only meant to be a personal critique, and I am open
to those that might explain to me the positive features that I may be
missing. It's Friday, after all.