[scribus-dev] GSoC idea: editable masterpage items

Andreas Vox avox at arcor.de
Fri Mar 20 21:55:43 CET 2009

Hi,

today I elaborated a bit on my GSoC idea, so I thought it might be good to
have it on the ML, too.

/Andreas

<pierremarc> a_vox: i've been unable to find the mail where you exposed your
ideas about editable text frames from MP, vipz is interested
<a_vox> I just edited the wiki page
<pierremarc> ok cool
<vipz> a-vox: hi
* inkpot hat die Verbindung getrennt ("ChatZilla 0.9.84 [Firefox
3.0.7/2009021910]")
<a_vox> vipz, Scribus documents consist of pageitems which are placed on the
canvas. Pages are also placed on the canvas, and pageitems which overlap
with a page belong to that page
<a_vox> (just giving a very general picture here)
<vipz> ok
<a_vox> currently all pageitems on masterpages are just rendered as an extra
background layer on each page that is associated with that masterpage.
<vipz> can tell me more about it
<a_vox> So my plan was a) give master pageitems a flag "prototype"
<vipz> ok
<a_vox> b) when associating a masterpage to a page (ie. "apply masterpage"),
make copies of all prototype master pageitems on that page.
<a_vox> c) only render the masterpage items with "prototype == false" as
background
<vipz> ok
<a_vox> once that is running, we can figure out what should happen when
re-applying another masterpage or what happens if the masterpage is edited
:-)
<vipz> ok.
<vipz>  i will study that and reply to you
<a_vox> cool. dont be shocked by the source code :-)
<vipz> ok :-)
<dhan> very impressive idea
<vipz> a_vox: i will reply to you tomorrow
<dhan> a_vox : can you explain "copies of all prototype master pageitems"
<vipz> that was a great idea
* ludo2 hat die Verbindung getrennt (Remote closed the connection)
<a_vox> dhan: we wont use those masterpageitems as background (see c) ), but
instead use them as a prototype for new items on the regular page (maybe
locking its size + position, too)
<a_vox> These copy are fully editable then (except for locking)
<dhan> oh i see
<dhan> please explain about locking?
<a_vox> It's a really simple scheme. Synching isn't addressed at all and
must be sorted out later. But I guess this would still be usable, even if
prototype on master and regular item on page aren't synched all the time
<a_vox> locking: in Scribus you can lock an items position and/or size. I
thought that should be done by default for masterpage items