[scribus-dev] Comparison with Ventura Publisher

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Tue Dec 29 23:58:29 CET 2009

dear mr. buckley

> This email is given as an introduction to myself, and an opening
> expression of my impressions of Scribus. I am a long-time users of
> Ventura Publisher, and it serves as my standard of  comparison versus
> other publishing tools. Of course, it should go without saying that
> the Microsoft products (Publisher and Word) and complete pieces of
> trash. With that disclaimer out of the way, we move to comparisons
> with Ventura  Publisher and LyX, though I should mention some passing
> familiarity with  QuarkXPress, which I should say looks remarkably
> like Scribus.  Still, I like  Ventura Publisher, and I wish that
> Scribus were more like VP.  LyX has  various nice characteristics and
> feature (least of all being some of the  members of the development
> team), and it would be nice if VP included same. Regarding Scribus, I
> am clearly a newbie, and will take effort to become  competent with
> this product before rendering strong opinion.  Yet, I do at  the
> outset of my experience with Scribus notice one feature which I do
> not  like.  That is, editing of the text of the document.  I will
> argue that I  should not be required to open a separate editing
> window to affect the text  within a document.  Ventura Publisher
> would not work in this fashion. From what I can see, Scribus is a
> very interesting alternative, and as said  before, I will endeavor to
> become a competent user of Scribus.  I have used  Ventura Publisher
> since version 1.0 (about 1987) and would like to use an  alternative
> which is yet more powerful than is Ventura Publisher.  I hope  that
> experience with Scribus will show it to be the superior development
> path, as compared with LyX.  Still, I think that all publishing tools
> should  emit LaTeX code, for this code is what is expected by
> journals, and I write  papers for journals. Please, wherever I have
> missed important points of Scribus, please inform me  of same.  I am
> writing this email after having only about one hour of  experience
> with Scribus. Sincerely, William R. Buckley

i don't have any knowledge about ventura publisher, but i know very well latex.

scribus is a very different product than latex and -- most of the time -- depending on the task you will prefere latex or scribus.

a little detail: you can use latex markup inside of scribus, but you can't produce latex code using scribus.

finally: please register to the scribus mailing list if you want to further discuss about scribus.