[scribus-dev] (forw) [wrb at wrbuckley.com: Comparison with Ventura Publisher]

OM malex at scribus.info
Sun Dec 27 21:50:10 CET 2009

Please cc the original author on replies.

----- Forwarded message from "scribus.net" <wrb at wrbuckley.com> -----

Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 14:55:37 +0100
From: "scribus.net" <wrb at wrbuckley.com>
Subject: [Contact Us] Comparison with Ventura Publisher

William R. Buckley sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.scribus.net/?q=contact.

Dear Developers:
This email is given as an introduction to myself, and an opening expression
of my impressions of Scribus. I am a long-time users of Ventura Publisher, and
it serves as my standard of  comparison versus other publishing tools. Of
course, it should go without saying that the Microsoft products (Publisher
and Word) and complete pieces of trash. With that disclaimer out of the way,
we move to comparisons with Ventura  Publisher and LyX, though I should
mention some passing familiarity with  QuarkXPress, which I should say looks
remarkably like Scribus.  Still, I like  Ventura Publisher, and I wish that
Scribus were more like VP.  LyX has  various nice characteristics and feature
(least of all being some of the  members of the development team), and it
would be nice if VP included same. Regarding Scribus, I am clearly a newbie,
and will take effort to become  competent with this product before rendering
strong opinion.  Yet, I do at  the outset of my experience with Scribus notice
one feature which I do not  like.  That is, editing of the text of the
document.  I will argue that I  should not be required to open a separate
editing window to affect the text  within a document.  Ventura Publisher would
not work in this fashion. From what I can see, Scribus is a very interesting
alternative, and as said  before, I will endeavor to become a competent user
of Scribus.  I have used  Ventura Publisher since version 1.0 (about 1987) and
would like to use an  alternative which is yet more powerful than is Ventura
Publisher.  I hope  that experience with Scribus will show it to be the
superior development  path, as compared with LyX.  Still, I think that all
publishing tools should  emit LaTeX code, for this code is what is expected by
journals, and I write  papers for journals. Please, wherever I have missed
important points of Scribus, please inform me  of same.  I am writing this
email after having only about one hour of  experience with Scribus. Sincerely,
William R. Buckley

PS - you can learn more about me by reading the paper "Computational
Ontogeny" which can be found quickly with a Google search.

----- End forwarded message -----