[scribus-dev] [scribus] Permission to use Scribus Screen Captures in an Educational Product

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 20:54:54 CEST 2008

2008/10/17 Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>

> Christoph Schäfer wrote:
>
>> imho, it sounds like craig was going to think about allowing clay conner
>>> to use the screenshots or not.
>>> so my questions is still valid: what is the position of the team on that
>>> matter? (and, yes, the answer to this will affect how i will handle
>>> scribus related projects).
>>>

>> The following is not the position of the team, but my personal one.
>>
>> 1) We would be plain silly if we restricted the use of screenshots in any
>> way.
>>
>> 2) Photographs are owned/copyrighted by the person who made them. For
>> instance, you can take a photograph of a BMW, but BMW cannot restrict the
>> use of your photograph or claim any copyright here -- it's _your_ photo.
>>
>> 3) Screenshots are like photographs. Therefore, the copyright holders of a
>> software cannot claim any copyrights in screenshots, unless they have been
>> made by themselves.
>> 4) An exception would be faked screenshots that are used to demonstrate
>> alleged shortcomings of the software. But this would be a case of false
>> advertising or something similar, depending on the jurisdiction. It has
>> nothing to do with copyright.
>>
>> Ergo: I think we don't need to discuss this any further, as every user of
>> a computer is free to make and use screenshots of the programs he's using.
>> As Hedley Finger pointed out, otherwise, books and magazines that are
>> covering software would quickly cease to exist.
>>

> Generally, I agree with this. FOSS and Scribus are more or less all about
> freedom, so we should if anything be in a position of saying, "how can we
> help you?" when someone asks about such things.
>
> As an offshoot of sorts about this, courtesy of Pantone, I received a
> message about this event:
>
> http://graphexpo.gasc.org/
>
> Scribus will have arrived when we can manage to have a representative or a
> representation of some sort at events like this. It is said to be about the
> "commercial" world of publishing/printing, but even commercial printers look
> for ways to reduce their overhead.

Correct. The 2 main graphic trade shows are, to my knowledge, the Graph Expo
in Chicago and DRUPA in Düsseldorf. I think that it could well be possible
to be there as a LGM delegation. It's not unreasonable to think we should be
able to negociate a free space for free software, provided we don't ask for
the moon! In april 2007, provided I had a bit more people around to give a
hand, we had the opportunity to be in a regional graphic trade show, in
Montreal. The people in charge were receptive. I can't tell for sure what
the deal would have been because I didn't push harder on that idea at the
time. But the day we are ready to do this, I will be glad to help make it
happen!

Drupa is every 4 years. There was one this year, so we have this much time
ahead to plan this... The next one is May 3-16, 2012

http://www.drupa.de/

Cheers!

Louis