[scribus-dev] [scribus] Permission to use Scribus Screen Captures in an Educational Product

Andreas Vox avox at arcor.de
Thu Oct 16 13:21:21 CEST 2008

When I first read the request I thought it was about reusing the screenshots
from our website. There should be no doubt taht we can control the
permissions to that.

I always thought that screenshots you make yourself are regularly owned by
yourself. I don't think German copyright law would allow to control the
screenshots of a software by the copyright owner of the software unless they
contain copyrighted text. Menu names and dialog messages would not be
considered "valuable" enough to get a copyright.
AFAIK US copyright works differently, but I don't think it's worth to ensure
copyright ownership of all Scribus screenshots.

/Andreas