[scribus] Compex script samples (screenshots) for the new website

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Tue Mar 15 00:03:09 UTC 2022

Hi all,

We're preparing a relaunch of the Scribus website. I've already created a sample PDF file with several scripting systems which, I think, are representative of the power of Scribus's new text layout engine.

Since the Scribus development is mostly happening in Europe, I went somehow around the clock in geographical terms and alphabetical for the respective languages. In practical this means that I've currently covered the following writing systems:

I. Cyrillic

- Ukrainian

- Mongolian (Halh)

II. West Asian

- Armenian

- Georgian

II. South Asian

- Bengali

- Hindi

III. South East Asian

- Khmer

- Thai

IV. East Asian

- Chinese (Mandarin)

- Japanese

- Korean

V. Middle East

- Arabic/Farsi

- Hebrew

The text is always the same, namely the beginning of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. However, since I can only read old and contemporary Latin-based scripts, as well as Cyrillic and a little bit of Greek, I'd need your help to prepare the screenshots. I think we need competent native speakers/writers to streamline the sample. Personally, I'd prefer to use only Article 1: "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood." The Preamble would be too long, and I don't mind the protests of ideologues who don't understand the spirit of this monumental document. What's important, though, is that we get the right section and that the typography is correct.

I'll also create samples for Latin-based Scripts with all the new typography features. If there are any experts for Cyrillic and Greek typography out there, please feel free to help out with screenshots (JPEG or PNG) or hints. If I missed an important scripting system, please let me know.

Christoph