[scribus] Getting help files for latest version

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Wed Feb 9 15:03:47 UTC 2022

    > I don't think you are going to get the Help files separately.
    >
    > They were copyrighted but the current copyright provisions allow packaging the doco (at least in the Scribus-170 docs)
    >
    > Your best bet is to build Scribus into a home directory and extract the help files from that.

    I'm also using Fedora 35, and for a long time they refuse to put the documentation in with Scribus -- some religious exception to its not being free from any copyrights.
    I just tried to copy the documentation to /usr/share/scribus/ and still got the message about missing documentation when running Fedora's version of Scribus.

    A possible workaround if you're willing to go to the bother:
    Set up a localhost if you haven't already -- the first starts httpd, the second makes sure it starts when you boot your computer in future.

    	sudo systemctl start httpd.service
    	sudo systemctl enable httpd.service

    Next, copy the en directory from an intact Scribus download to your localhost:

    	sudo cp -r ~/Scribus15x/doc/en /var/www/html/

    To access this manual, use your browser and point it to
    	localhost/en/menu.xml

    The reason this works is that some time ago I put a file scribus-manual.xsl into the doc/en folder, and added a pointer to it in menu.xml

    You might wonder why you need to bother with localhost. The reason is that some time ago Firefox stopped allowing access to html files in your computer's user directories.

    Greg

    ___

Hi

Easier than that:

Many years ago I added the ability for the help browser to use files in a user folder rather than the installation directory. I have installed a Fedora virtual machine and checked, they have removed the doc files from the installation as you said Greg.

You can download one of the source tarballs from sourceforge, eg https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.5.7/scribus-1.5.7.tar.gz (fedora only has 1.5.7)
Once extracted you will have something like:
/home/<username>/Downloads/scribus-1.5.7/doc/

You should be able to copy the help browser files from the "en" subfolder into a folder similar to this:

/home/<username>/.local/share/scribus/helpfiles/en

Open Scribus and you can use the help browser as expected

Craig