[scribus] Beginning to think about a Scribus search feature

Martin Zaske LINGO martin.zaske at lingo-benin.org
Tue Feb 8 10:01:51 UTC 2022

Dear list,

yesterday I wrote a request and today I received the perfect answer. I
needed a certain feature and could not find it without the help from
this list.

So this time, I should have known. And again this list has really helped
me do my work (better). So while writing my thank-you note, it occurs to
me that Scribus has evolved to have such a rich set of tools and
features that often the challenge is not so much the operation of
certain tools but just to find the best tool for each job (or to guess
its name in English). There are programs like Firefox where I can search
the settings (if I have an idea what I am looking for).

I wonder whether I should submit a feature request like this:
A feature that lets users search from one location through:
- all tools in all the (main) menus and
- through all the settings and
- through the included help

with an underlying thesaurus, so that (new) users could search for
example subjects like font/typeface, page layout/document layout,
margins/guides/bleeds, cut/crop/resize  and get helpful search results
even when not always knowing the correct (British / US) technical terms.

I am more a linguist than a graphic designer and I would be interested
to make my contribution to analyse the archive of mails here and other
resources and ask more users for help and hopefully create a list or
super-basic database as a basis for such a search feature. I am aware
that Scribus is available in non-English versions too which needs
consideration and is beyond my experience. I only ever use the English
version which I perceive as the "most original" and best linked to this
e-mail list.

What do you think? Is a search interesting at all? Is this list good
enough? The response-time is certainly amazing.

Can it be done with reasonable effort? Has it been done before and could
be taken over from another project? Is the idea of a thesaurus-based
search helpful to non-professional or non-native-English-speaking users?

It would be the joke of the year (for me) if you would answer that the
search-feature does already exist in Scribus and that I just do not know
where it is...

Greetings,

Martin

--
courriel par Martin Zaske, membre de :

LINGO-Bénin
B.P. 48
Bassila
Rep. du Bénin

Tel. 00229 / 97.44.62.95
Tel. 00229 / 62.58.04.48

Organisation Non Gouvernementale
Decret No. 2001-234 du 12 juillet 2001
No. d'enregistrement 6/033/P-SG STCCD-DCDI-ONG
du 05 septembre 2012

Numéro IFU: 6201702245702

www.lingo-benin.org