[scribus] regular tab stops = update =

Martin Zaske LINGO martin.zaske at lingo-benin.org
Mon Feb 7 09:18:08 UTC 2022

Hello list,

last night I was designing a special calendar page for a friend's
birthday. Since it was a one-off I quickly did the calendar part (days
of the week and dates) with spaces and tab stops.

Then I realized that I could not find where to set the default width of
"a tab stop".

I am aware that in Text Properties F3 pop up window I can have full
control over each custom tab stop and its position and its orientation.
Same again where I define styles.

But I had a list of 10 dates and nine tab stops in-between and did NOT
know where I needed them, I was experimenting.

I wanted to change the width of the inbuilt default tab-stop (as I used
to in Corel Draw many years ago) so that I could test several layouts.
If I had to manually place nine customs tab-stops and do the math and
then do it several more iterations to find a good and pleasing layout,
that would be painful. The custom tab-stops are great for planned
layouts but not for "creative messing about". So last night a used a
dirty hack with manual tracking feature.

If there is a way in the GUI to find and set the default tab-stop width,
please advise. Sorry, still on version 1.5.7 but 1.5.8 already
downloaded, just not much time due to project surprises.

Greetings,

Martin

PS: I made a test document with a row of numbers separated by simple
tabs from my keyboard and had a look inside the .sla file and found
<DOCUMENT ... TabWidth="36" ... and since I had not set anything, the
value of "36" seems to be the default. I changed it to another value and
re-opened my document and the results were as expected, i.e. very good.

So I have a clumsy solution for my request, to access the default, again
not very suitable for creative experimenting for a new layout, but still
much better than calculating and setting many customs-tabs manually.

--
courriel par Martin Zaske, membre de :

LINGO-Bénin
B.P. 48
Bassila
Rep. du Bénin

Tel. 00229 / 97.44.62.95
Tel. 00229 / 62.58.04.48

Organisation Non Gouvernementale
Decret No. 2001-234 du 12 juillet 2001
No. d'enregistrement 6/033/P-SG STCCD-DCDI-ONG
du 05 septembre 2012

Numéro IFU: 6201702245702

www.lingo-benin.org