[scribus] new computer - what OS best for Scribus 1.5.8

Bert Driehuis driehuis at playbeing.org
Wed Aug 10 19:54:55 UTC 2022

Dear Martin,

Allow me to weigh in belatedly... There is no "best" Linux distro, not for
general use and not for DTP work either, if you take a long term view.
Especially if you expect your workstations to receive regular security
updates, and if you expect to pick your own version of Scribus.

As Scribus develops, your shiny workstation OS will start to develop
mismatches with the OS either way.

My solution, but your mileage may differ, is to select one of the Ubuntu
flavors with long term support. For a desktop environment, that means
upgrading the base OS once every two years. That provides some stability,
at the cost of running some software that will be dated before the next LTS
upgrade comes. For software where you need to precisely control the
version, you can use Ubuntu snaps, or flatpak, but I prefer to use Scribus
using an AppImage. If you need to pick a flavor, be it Gnome, MATE, Xfce or
KDE, just try them all, then wipe the machine and install the one that
suits you best. For me, MATE offers the best balance between usability and
power, but again, YMMV.

You can also try your hand at using a PPA, but those have many downsides,
including stability and, occasionally, not being able to upgrade to a
sufficiently new version of Qt.

Ubuntu on the desktop works well for me, even if I need to support Ubuntu
users over the phone, but the key part, whichever OS you choose, is to have
a plan for the long term and stick to it. In my case, that means upgrading
to the next LTS within one or two months of the LTS being offered
automatically as an upgrade (usually around the november timeframe every
even year).

With kind regards,

Bert