[scribus] HP2055 Install Printer on Linux

Matt Miller matt.miller at fastmail.com
Tue Mar 23 17:35:29 UTC 2021

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021, at 08:57, Silvain Dupertuis wrote:
> Hello Matt,
>
> I have installed several HP printers on Linux Ubuntu with ease.
> I never had to install a PPD file - although the option to install a
> PPD is present.
> It seems to me that Debian should be similar.

Well, I'm actually using WSL/Debian, that is, Debian as a Windows app via Windows Subsystem for Linux.  It works almost like Debian on bare metal or as a true VM, but there are some differences.  It seems that one problem is that the Linux dbus facility doesn't work properly under WSL, and the hp-setup utility installed by hplip uses dbus.  So, without more digging/hacking it looks like I'll need to print from my Windows host.

> Can you find the HP Device Manager in your software and see what it
> says about your printer?
> (It is installed by hplip)
>
> Sorry I can say more from a distance.
>
> By the way, I always extract PDF files from Scribus and then print the PDF.
> It is safer and saves paper...

Yeah, I have been printing this way, but I found myself wanting to do a quick print preview from Scribus on Linux, so I started down the road of installing my printer on Linux.  I then ran into the dbus problem described above.

So, thanks for the advice, but I think this is a WSL limitation for me at this point.  No big deal, though.