[scribus] Use API to Get Position of Selected Text (Or, Drop Caps not On First Character of Paragraph)

Matt Miller matt.miller at fastmail.com
Sun Mar 21 23:39:06 UTC 2021

I want to use the API to get the position within the text frame of some text my program has scanned for and identified within a text frame chain, but I don't see how to do that.  I can get the position of the frame of the text, but not the position of a certain character of text within the frame.  I’m thinking of, for example, getFont(), which returns the font of the first character of the selected text, and I’m hoping to find something similar to give me the position of that character within its frame.

My actual goal with this is to use the Drop Caps attribute, but apply it to a character other than the first character of the paragraph.  There are a couple places in my API-generated documents where I need to leave a couple of the leading characters of a paragraph out to the left of the enlarged capital letter, and the only way I’ve seen to do that is to delete the leading characters from the paragraph, turn on drop caps for the paragraph, then create a new text frame right at the position where the deleted leading characters were, and finally put those deleted characters into that new frame.  I want to do all this from the API, and I don't know how to get the position for the new frame.

Thanks.

--

  Matt Miller
  mailto:matt.miller at fastmail.com