[scribus] "No icons found :(" After Building on Debian

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Mar 6 17:35:22 UTC 2021

On 3/6/21 12:20 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 3/6/21 11:46 AM, Matt Miller wrote:
>> On Debian Bullseye I built from svn but when I launch the app I get:
>>
>> No icons found :(
>>
>> and the app exits.
>>
>> My build process was:
>>
>> svn co svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus
>> mkdir ScribusBuild
>> cd ScribusBuild/
>> cmake ../Scribus -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/scribus15svn
>> make
>> sudo make install
>>
>> I saw no errors during any of this.  Before I started I had already had a go at compiling the 1.5.6.1 that Debian provides, and during that I used "sudo apt-get build-dep scribus" to find out dependencies, and I guessed that this was enough, since I didn't see any errors while building from svn.
>>

> Hi Matt,
>
> Did you try rebooting your system?
> Also, I have seen that warning without any apparent signs of missing icons.

The other thing to do is to look to see if icons are present. Look in your /usr/local/scribus15svn/share folder and you should see and ocons/ folder there -- this is just the Scribus app icon.
The rest (and most) of the icons should be in /usr/local/scribus15svn/share/scribus/icons

The other thing I would say is that what I do when I install Scribus svn is to put it in my home directory. That way I don't have to worry about permissions. On my system, I don't have write permission to /usr, I have to sudo or su to root.

Greg