[scribus] Outlining fonts

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Jan 24 19:00:36 UTC 2021

On 1/24/21 12:57 PM, Eric Hanuise wrote:
> I was under the impression that when you render an outlined fonts pdf the text was also exported.
>
> Isn't it the case ? And if no, is this a technical limitation or simply something not (yet) implemented ?

I just did a little experiment, and the answer is no, you cannot export the text from a PDF where the fonts are outlined.
When a PDF contains embedded fonts, the rendering information is included in the file, along with the text (as text), and the PDF viewer renders the text using the font info.
When the fonts are outlined, there is only the vector graphic information of the text as displayed in the text frames -- it's as if the text frame content was an image.

This is not a defect in implementation, it's how PDFs work.

Greg