[scribus] Keep with next paragraph

Matt Miller matt.miller at fastmail.com
Sat Feb 20 21:18:03 UTC 2021

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021, at 10:53, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 2/20/21 12:10 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> > On 2/20/21 11:18 AM, Matt Miller wrote:
> >> I want certain one-line paragraphs to never appear by themselves at the bottom of a page or a column.  Instead I want them to move to the next column and appear together with the next paragraph.  I created a paragraph style and set "Keep with next paragraph" in the style editor, then I applied that style to the one-line paragraphs in question.  However, it's not working the way I expect.  I still have instances where these one-line paragraphs are the last line of a column.
> >>
> >> My intention is to always force chapter headings to appear in the same column as the first paragraph of their chapter.  These headings are, for example, "CHAPTER 12," and appear as a line by themselves right before the first line of the chapter text.  Is "Keep with next paragraph" the best feature to stop these headings from appearing alone at the bottom of a column?  How should I accomplish this?
> >>

> > Hi Matt,
> >
> > What you may want to do is to unlink those frames, starting a new series of links with the chapter heading.
> >

> Another thing you can do in a series of linked frames would be to go to
> the beginning of the line you want to appear at the beginning of the
> next frame, and press Ctrl-Return. This bumps that line to the next
> frame in the linked series.
>
> Greg

Manually entering a line break where needed is working for me.  Thanks.  However, the Ctrl-Return frame break pushes the content into the next frame, which for me is the next page, since I'm using a single two-column frame for each page.  But, one way or another, either a column break or even a simple line break seems to do the job, and isn't much manual work.

Now, getting back to my original attempt at using the "Keep with next paragraph" setting in the paragraph style editor, do you know why that's not working automatically?  Am I misunderstanding what this setting is supposed to do?