[scribus] 1.5.7 Appimage won't Extract

Matt Miller matt.miller at fastmail.com
Mon Aug 30 18:13:55 UTC 2021

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021, at 10:17, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 8/30/21 8:45 AM, Matt Miller wrote:
> > I've been working with the Scribus appimage for 1.5.7, and it works fine if I run it as-is. However, I'm finding a need to extract it, and the --appimage-extract option is crashing.  It starts out fine, but then aborts.
>
> What distro are you using?  I know that for Fedora, among others,
> Scribus is available to be installed from an rpm, deb or whatever.

I'm using Debian, but, my goal with this is to run Scribus from a Docker container.  I'm trying to move my document build steps to the cloud, but I don't want to pay for a dedicated Linux instance for that.  If I can build a Docker container that runs Scribus then I think I'll be in a better overall position in the cloud.  Instead figuring out all the other Linux packages my container would need for Scribus, I thought the appimage approach would be faster.  However, I then found that appimages use FUSE, and Docker doesn't like FUSE.  The --appimage-extract-and-run option gets rid the need for FUSE, but, then I hit this extract error.

I searched Docker Hub and didn't find a Scribus container already made!