[scribus] Keep with next paragraph

Matt Miller matt.miller at fastmail.com
Thu Apr 1 19:28:00 UTC 2021

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021, at 10:12, Jean-François Lemaire wrote:
> On Sunday, 21 February 2021 14:39:49 CET Silvain Dupertuis wrote:
> > I am using Scribus 1.5.6 on Ubuntu
> > Paragraph styles do have all the features needed
>
> [...]
>
> > Unfortunately, *none of these work* in my installation
> > I do not know why...
>
> It's the same for me. These options do not seem to have any effect.

I’ve found that the “Keep with Next Paragraph” style attribute does work for me if I use only single-column frames.  I was using one two-column frame per page, and every instance I noticed  of a lone paragraph that should have been pushed to the next column was at the bottom of a first column.  I never saw this error at the bottom of the last column of a frame.  So, I changed all my documents to use two narrower single-column frames per page, and there were no more errors.  Possibly such a workaround would help with the other “Widows and Orphans” features.

I did poke around a bit in the source file pageitem_textframe.cpp, where adjustParagraphEndings() seemed a promising place to start, but then I found the single-column frame workaround.