[scribus] Templates vs. master pages vs. (page styles)?

dl dl.lists at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 16 15:29:28 UTC 2020

Earlier I sent the following reply to only one correspondent. Sorry for
the slipup now corrected.

I write from the sidelines here since I am not a regular user of
Scribus. However this topic seems to fall under the heading of dynamic
changes and I do have an interest in /composing/ Scribus documents other
than through the usual GUI.

Now the Scribus script ScribusGenerator serves the purpose of editing
Scribus to include variables.  The example cited is making dynamic
templates of business cards but I find that ScribusGenerator can be used
in a broader context to dynamically change document attributes. Follow
the video tutorial by the script author.

On a broader front (outside using Scripter) I have experimented with
creating dynamic Scribus documents (from a local PHP server) by
regarding the *.sla document as XML and processing XML in PHP. That
works nicely and involves adding a custom PHP mime type so that PHP
statements can be embedded into the Scribus document for processing. I
can point to other uses of this method I researched.  For example
embedded SVG files (also XML) can be so edited.

Just some more options to consider.

DL