[scribus] A different Pantone need

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Oct 19 17:26:04 UTC 2020

On 10/19/20 12:05 PM, ZASKE Martin wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I have used Scribus 1.5.5 to prepare a file to be silk-screen-printed
> unto t-shirts.
>
> Now I am stuck with the online order:
>
> The print-shop will print with special fabric-ink and their
> online-order-mask gives a choice of colours, all referenced by the
> Pantone Solid Coated series. For example we want our text printed in
> "PANTONE Yellow 012 C".
>
> So I do not care what it looks like on my screen; I have 255 233 0 as an
> approximation to show my team.
>
> But our online affordable printer, is needing the color-information
> encoded into our PDF/X-4 file because they offer many different colours
> and their order-process is fully automated.
>
> I have looked through this list and seen some hacks on how to handle
> Pantone-equivalents with basically RGB swatches, but our need is all
> different.
>

> I also just created an export to PDF/X-4 and opened it with my best
> editor. I can read but I see no obvious structure. When I needed, I
> boldly edit Scribus .sla files, but those are "nice" compared to this
> PDF syntax.
>

> It would be a shame after all those years with Scribus, to rob a bank
> and get InDesign, just to convert my (already designed) T-shirt document
> for the print-shop-upload.

Pantone colors were never included with Scribus. There were instructions in how to use Pantone colors you already had access to because you had some software that included them.

https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/How_to_legally_obtain_spot_colour_palettes_for_use_in_Scribus_1.3.3.x_and_later_versions

Greg