[scribus] Scribus 1.5.6 released
mail at cyberlizard.co.uk
mail at cyberlizard.co.uk
Wed Nov 11 14:26:02 UTC 2020
I have tried today, 11th November, 2020 to download the x64 Windows version
however it constantly displays the error, "bad gateway".
I thought I would try and visit scribus.net but according to that page the
most recent release is 1.5.5 (which is still listed as development). The
stable release is still listed as 1.4.8
If anyone knows where else I can download it from I would be more than
From: Christoph Schäfer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de>
Sent: 10 November 2020 23:01
To: scribus at lists.scribus.net; scribus-dev at lists.scribus.net;
freieFarbe at topics.ch; create at lists.freedesktop.org
Subject: [scribus] Scribus 1.5.6 released
The Scribus Team is pleased to announce the release of version 1.5.6. The
release was delayed due to the current pandemic, but we finally got there.
This is a major release on our way to 1.6.0, even though most changes have
taken place "under the hood". Apart from a few remaining fringe issues, this
release has been thoroughly tested and is considered to be stable. However,
there are also a lot of new features.
Please note that while some bugfixes still *may* be backported to the 1.4.x
branch, we do not plan an official release of this version anymore. If you
think you need the changes, you have to check out the SVN repository and
build 1.4.9svn from source.
=Most important changes=
* One of the most important changes compared to earlier versions is the
introduction of a context-sensitive Content Palette. If set to visible, it
will adjust to the kind of item (text frame, image frame, table, group) you
* Ctrl/Cmd+Click enables selecting items below guides.
* A new PDF-based output preview is now available.
* Support for dark UI themes has been improved.
* Icon set can now be changed without needing to restart application
* It's now possible to "cycle" through the items in a group by pressing
* Support for PDF 1.6 export, including embedded OpenType fonts.
* A Markdown import filter has been added.
* Improvements to the IDML, PDF, XTG, SVG and KRA importers.
==Text and Typography==
* Launching Scribus via the Command Line on any OS will now reveal more
font-related problems; based on fontconfig 3.14.
* Default black and white colors can now alternatively be defined in RGB and
* With the exception of the Windows platform, Scribus can now use a
PDF-based and newly written printing engine. PostScript is still available,
but will be removed over time.
* macOS: Scribus 1.5.6 is certified to be installed and run on current
versions of macOS. If you want to use Scribus on a computer with the latest
version of macOS, 1.5.6 is the required version. For those that use the
Scripter functionality, our default DMG download of Scribus on macOS uses
Python 2.x installed with the operating system. We have an experimental
release that allows the use of Python 3 if the user has XCode installed.
* On platforms other than macOS, Scribus now uses Python 3 by default. As a
consequence, existing scripts will likely need to be modified so that they
run in Scribus 1.5.6.
* Many new commands have been added to the Scripter; others have been
renamed to be more intuitive. For more information, please have a look at
the Scripter documentation, which has also been updated to reflect the
The complete changelog is available here:
==Primary Download Locations==
* Installation packages for Windows, macOS, a Linux AppImage and the source
code are available here:
* Packaging for the various Linux distributions, as well as other platforms
is beyond our influence. We recommend updating the respective repository
data on a regular basis.
* Windows Portable App:
Scribus Mailing List: scribus at lists.scribus.net Edit your options or
More information about the scribus