[scribus] epub and PDF import filter

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Fri Mar 20 16:25:16 UTC 2020

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 11:06:20 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> dijo:

>On 3/20/20 10:18 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:
>> hi
>>
>> a question from my side:
>>
>> what would be the use of an epub import?
>>
>> i'm asking for a cousin...
>
>I was wondering this too. The point-of-view of a PDF (DTP) and an epub
>is so different. The first wants to have a very structured design and
>layout, such as Scribus will do, but epubs are very much unstructured,
>and how they display depends a lot on the viewer used.
>
>I just tried importing epubs to LibreOffice, and had no success - they
>were all said to be "corrupt". You could certainly unzip an epub and
>get to the xhtml files and import them into text frames in Scribus.

I suppose I should ask this on a LibreOffice forum, but does the LO
import PDF filter bring in the file as editable text, or as vector
objects? I suspect the latter, and if so, then the best way to get the
PDF into either LO or Scribus and have it editable as text is to copy
and paste from the PDF file.