[scribus] Scribus Save function doesn't always work

Gary Dale gary at extremeground.com
Wed Jun 24 21:25:36 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-24 03:13, Bert Driehuis wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 2:43 AM Gary Dale <gary at extremeground.com> wrote:
>
>> Found it, and it was turned on. That makes the failure to save even more
>> outrageous.
> I just tested saving a Scribus file to a directory, removed the entire
> directory and tried to save again, and got a prominent error message.
> This is Scribus 1.5.5 on Ubuntu 18.04LTS. So it seems 1.5.5 correctly
> detects failure to save a document on my system. You may want to
> repeat that experiment to see if you can reproduce your failure. I'm
> sure the developers will pick up a reproducible case with the greatest
> urgency.
>
> Are you sure you didn't save your document to a different location, like /tmp?
>

> With kind regards,
>
> Bert Driehuis

No I didn't save the document elsewhere. That would have required me to
do a File | Save As while I just hit the save button on the toolbar. As
I mentioned earlier, I even closed Scribus a few times during the day
and re-opened the document - which I do by clicking on it in Dolphin
(perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm using Plasma 5 desktop). The
file itself is in a folder on a network share (NFS).

As for repeating the experiment, I hope to never repeat it again. I have
no idea why the file wasn't saving and don't really have the time right
now to try to recreate the problem even if I had a clue as to how to do it.

I can tell you I had been using systemd-networkd for networking earlier
but had switched back to Network Manager because networkd seems to be
not ready for prime time. My Network Manager setup is simply Auto
Ethernet, which lets the Manager figure everything out. I do recall
rebooting after making the switch to ensure that things were setup properly.