[scribus] Script for (french) thin typographic spaces

Silvain Dupertuis silvain-dupertuis at bluewin.ch
Tue Jun 2 11:44:03 UTC 2020

I am interested in such a script, as I have been putting thin spaces by hand in certain
documents
to get a more professional look

Now I dit test : thin space _IS non-breaking_ in Scribus, so it is useful.

I join a test file to illustrate the strange thing I noticed:

1. The thin space *is not accessible from the Insert Spaces and Breaks Menu* in text using
fonts like Times, Arial, Liberation...
Which seems to suggest that this character is missing in these fonts.

2. On the other hand, it is *present for DejaVu fonts*.

3. Now comes the strange thing
If I do this

  * insert thin spaces through the menu on a text formatted with DejaVu
  * change the font (by style or hardformatting) to one of these previous fonts

then the thin space stays there and works fine even with Liberation, Arial, Times...
(And I checked it on the xml text of the sla file).

One more note:
I remember having seen a script to add non-breaking spaces in French.
I do not see it in my present installation, maybe it was with a previous version.
It would be easy to change it into using thin spaces...

Sincerely
Silvain

--
Silvain Dupertuis