[scribus] Color management settings

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Fri Jul 10 11:30:46 UTC 2020

Hello
i looked at the Help about color management settings
and cant find satisfying explanations.

The settings dialog lists various profile settings are about CMYK and RGB.
I translate them here from french so it could be slightly different :

# CMYK images : asks for a CMYK profile

Is that the profile for CMYK inserted images ?

Does it mean ALL provided images should have this same profile ?

When my files have different internal profileS, which profile should i choose ?

Or should we convert all images to a same profile before providing them to scribus ?

Does the correct behaviour depends on the PDF-produced version choice 1.3, 1.4 or 1.5 ?

Is there a simpler choice where i dont have to convert all images to a same CMYK profile ?

# CMYK colors : asks for a CMYK profile

What use is that setting ?

Is that related to "spot colors" for marketing and advertising professionals
and i shouldnt care this as a book editor
because i'm not interested in exact pantone truthfullness for charter or logos
and all i care is nice looking photographs.

# Printer : also asks for a CMYK profile

This is the printer profile.
(FOGRA39 in my case)

# RGB images
# RGB colors
Same.

# About the UI

The checkboxes enable to choose
- activate color management
When this is checked :
-- black point balance
-- simulate on screen
When this is checked :
--- convert to printer colors
--- display out of gamut colors

Does "simulate on screen" simulate anything when "convert to printer colors" is not checked ?
Maybe this enables only the "display out of gamut colors" choice ?

(and also i'm curious to know : Why is there a black point balance and not a white point balance as usual ?)

JLuc