[scribus] Tables in 1.5.6svn

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Wed Jan 8 20:28:38 UTC 2020

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 09:09:53 -0500
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> dijo:

>> Now if I can find a tutorial on other options for the syntax. Like
>> line thickness and color, font styles, and lots more. I'll look
>> around the net - surely I can find something.

>One thing I would warn you about is that the font rendering, when you
>look at the final PDF generated by Scribus, is distinctly inferior in
>Render frames. In particular, comparing a PDF generated from LaTeX
>outside of Scribus to using a render frame, it looks pretty shabby to
>me.

I've spent hours on this so far and, adding your observation above,
I've come to the conclusion that the only way to do tables in Scribus
is the Writer > PDF > Scribus method that I have always used. It's
clunky and inconvenient, but it works.

Perhaps some day we can entice someone to write a table function for
Scribus as extensive as LO has. Or maybe we can upgrade render frames
to do a better job of font rendering. I can envision the render frame
dialog box having options for 'do you want to create a table?' with
subsequent options to automate some of the Latex code.

Having said that, in the process of trying to create tables in render
frames I ran into a Latex option - \usepackage{booktabs}. It looks like
this: https://www.latex-tutorial.com/tutorials/tables/ . (You have to
scroll down to get to the samples with booktabs.)

Although I personally don't like vertical lines, the booktabs package
looks cool. Unfortunately, although I found lots of sample tables using
booktabs with the code to create them, I can't get it to work in a
render table. Mostly the errors I get are that \usepackage{booktabs}
can only be used in the preamble, but I can't figure out where the
preamble is for a Latex render frame.

But here is something even more interesting that I unearthed:

	https://tablesgenerator.com/#

This will allow you to create the Latex code for a table using a
completely graphical interface. It includes the option to use booktabs,
but when I created a table with booktabs and then pasted the code into
a render frame it failed, with the same error message as above. But if I
use the site to create a table without booktabs it works fine in a
render table. Perhaps others here can play with it.