[scribus] Tables in 1.5.6svn

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Jan 7 21:30:05 UTC 2020

On 1/7/20 3:16 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> Maybe someone who is Latex-literate could create several dozen tables
> with code as needed to create the table in a render frame, along with a
> graphical view of what the render frame will loo like. Click on the
> graphical view and the code is automatically pasted into the render
> frame. I imagine that this would be scriptable. All the user would need
> to do is add or subtract for more or fewer rows and columns. Even a
> dummy like me might be able create tables in a render frame if the
> majority of the code is already done and all I have to is ad/subtract.
> I know a lot of local TeX/LatexL/Lyx gurus who I might be able to
> inveigle into helping. I wouldn't mind helping to coordinate such a
> project.

Here is a very basic structure for a table you might plug into a Render frame (Context menu: Edit Source), just to see what it looks like

\begin{tabular}{|p{6cm}|p{5cm}|}
 \hline \hline
The strangest figures we saw were the Slovaks, who were more barbarian than the rest, with their big cow-boy hats, great baggy dirty-white trousers, white linen shirts, and enormous heavy leather belts, nearly a foot wide, all studded over with brass nails. &  We left in pretty good time, and came after nightfall to Klausenburgh. Here I stopped for the night at the Hotel Royale. I had for dinner, or rather supper, a chicken done up some way with red pepper, which was very good but thirsty. \\ \hline
In the population of Transylvania there are four distinct nationalities: Saxons in the South, and mixed with them the Wallachs, who are the descendants of the Dacians; Magyars in the West, and Szekelys in the East and North. & Having had some time at my disposal when in London, I had visited the British Museum, and made search among the books and maps in the library regarding Transylvania; it had struck me that some foreknowledge of the country could hardly fail to have some importance in dealing with a nobleman of that country. \\ \hline

\end{tabular}\\

The {|p{6cm}|p{5cm}|} sets up the columns, in this case the vertical lines indicate there will be vertical borders. p{6cm} means that the first column will be 6cm wide.
the \hline makes a horizontal line -- for some reason you need 2 of them at the beginning to make the top border.
\\ is for the end of a row.

Change the cols argument to {p{6cm}p{5cm}} and eliminate the \hline's and you will have a table without borders.

Greg