[scribus] UHD monitor problems

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Fri Jan 3 18:04:50 UTC 2020

On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 20:00:49 +0300
Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> dijo:

>On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 6:04 PM Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>
>wrote:
>> In File > Preferences > User Interface, there is already the
>> capability to switch icon sets from 1.5.0 to 1.5.1, so perhaps there
>> might be another choice (or more) for UHD monitors. Also, you can
>> set menu and palette font sizes there too.

>The icon set is already set to 1.5.1, and icons are still too small.
>Moreover, on my setup, Scribus automatically loads with 2.0 scale
>factor, so I actually had to decrease UI font size from 14pt to 11pt
>to keep UI labels, menus etc. at a sane, not overly large size :)

In 1.5.6svn the icon set was automatically set to 1.5.1, and they look
fine. Menus are set to 16 points, and they also look fine.

But I have to add that menus at 16 points for me might actually be
exactly the same size on the screen as menus at 14 points for someone
whose desktop settings are different from mine.

The problem is that in all the desktop environments there are a
multitude of places to change settings for the appearance of the
desktop. These are usually scattered over various applets in the
settings manager. And the reason these settings are in different
applets is that there are different 'places' where an application might
have an icon or text, for example, text in an application title bar,
text in an application toolbar, body text in an application, and
several more.

Mind you, this installation of Xubuntu was copied from my old FHD
computer (1920x1080); it was not a fresh install. In theory I should
have been able to just scale the whole thing, but in practice, on my
Xfce 4.12 desktop I discovered that I needed to change individual
'place' settings. I was not shocked when the first time I launched
Scribus 1.5.3 from the Appimage everything was a mess with unreadable
text in the menus. I had already experienced similar problems with
LibreOffice, the GIMP, web browsers, the mail client, and lots more.
Every one needed at least a bit of tweaking, even after getting the
desktop working well. And a few still have a minor issue.

I suspect that if I had installed Scribus 1.5.3 from a .deb file there
might had been little or nothing to fix. I blame the Appimage for not
knowing proper settings. That's just a guess, though. In any event,
1.5.6svn is working great, except for the small toolbar bug that I
already filed in Mantis. I haven't used it much yet, though, so maybe
I'll find more issues as I go along.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions!