[scribus] Scribus android

Bert Driehuis bertd.fpevohf.arg at taw.playbeing.com
Mon Sep 2 10:15:09 UTC 2019

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 11:27 AM JLuc <jluc at no-log.org> wrote:

> AMOF, Qt is available for Android :
> https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/android.html
>
> Does it mean scribus could be natively compiled for android ???

From that page I'd say yes. I did not spot anything that looks problematic
for Scribus in the list of unsupported features.

However, compiling it is just the first step. It is quite likely that the
UI will be disappointing, because Scribus is designed with a relatively
large screen in mind, and I'm not sure how Qt will deal with that. Chances
are the UI will need significant rework to be useful on small screen, HiDPI
devices.

My personal Scribus viewing needs on the phone are fulfilled with an
existing PDF viewer. My experience with native Wordpad-like editors on
Android is unsatisfactory, and that's without the complexity of Scribus.
Even making small changes is a pain.

My guestimate is that someone needs to sink a lot of time in getting this
to work, and then making it usable. Maybe someone reading this will think,
hey, that's a nice challenge!

With kind regards,

Bert