[scribus] Advice for a Beginner

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Oct 20 15:02:24 UTC 2019

On 10/20/19 10:40 AM, Tom Howard-Jones wrote:
>  Dear Scribus;
> I am a very new user.I would like some advice on basic questions.
> I am not sure if this is the right place to raise them.Please advise me if I would be better using a different forum.
> A group of volunteers are writing a book to mark the 25th anniversary of our society.I am the editor.We need to produce artwork in PDF for the printer.The book will be A5 in size and will have some 150 pages.It will be text and colour photographs.
> Is SCRIBUS suitable for such a project?
> Are there any limitations that I need to be aware of (number of pages; size of files etc)?
> Thank you very much for your help and advice.

Hi Tom,

Scribus is certainly a very good method for this type of project. While it was fairly common in the past to run into issues with large numbers of images in a document, this is much better, given the increasing memory of most computers, and also the use by Scribus of image caching. The main thing you might notice if there were such a problem would be slowing down of various operations like scrolling or paging through the Scribus document. What is typically done if such issues arise is to break up the document into smaller pieces, create individual PDFs, then splice them together with some other software.

If some images are huge (many MB), then reducing them in size can be useful. If they display in Scribus at 300 DPI, this should be more than adequate resolution. Selecting an image frame, then looking in the Properties palette under the Image tab should show the resolution on the page as displayed.

Greg