[scribus] The Scribus 2018 year in review
ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed Jan 2 10:08:58 UTC 2019
During the last few days I've seen several projects publishing a year
review and I thought: why not doing the same for Scribus?
Here is a copy of my review of the year 2018 for Scribus.
2018 was a calm year for Scribus. There have been one minor release for
both the stable and the development branches, regular bug fixes, and a
couple of bigger refactoring efforts.
Some of the highlights for 2018 were:
- Scribus 1.5.4 has been released, with a few
enhancements relating to the color handling and improvements for
running Scribus from the command line.
- There has been a regain of interest for the scripting, leading a few
new contributors (dockattt, Iam_TJ, gibbz) to submit patches. Missing
commands have been added to the API and a few misbehaving ones have
- Cédric Gémy's has published "Initiation à Scribus 1.5" for
Go and buy it or help translating it!
- Norbert has created "Scribus Templates" a site with dozen of
Scribus sample documents:
- On top of fixing bugs, Craig and Jean worked on code improvements
that should make Scribus better in the long term:
- Refactoring efforts to make the Scribus code more readable (return
early) and fast (const &)
- "Moving" to C++ 11 (foreach, nullptr, auto)
- Fix "clazy" warnings and generally "fight" compilers warning
(signed / unsigned, ...)
For 2019 there are a few ongoing projects that could need some care and
- One and a half years ago, Martin (with the help of a few forum
users) made a proposal for a new Scribus website. It has not been
retained by the Scribus team and since I really loved the work he
did, I've now created a "Scribus Community Site" based on it:
It's still in beta stage and contributions are very welcome!
- Cedric's "Scribus 1.5" book is free and it is being translated
into English. Further translations would be very welcome!
- More of the IndigoDock UI proposal (Martin again) should get into
- Finish the "friendly" API for Scribus plugins.
- Complete and publish the Epub exporter.
- Create a real table of contents based on styles.
- Propose a new scripter engine.
I wish you all and Scribus a wonderful 2019!
More information about the scribus