[scribus] Conflict with inkscape caused by Scribus PPA (Ubuntu 18.04)

Bert Driehuis driehuis at playbeing.org
Sun Dec 8 17:51:41 UTC 2019

I ran into this bug trying to use Inkscape on Ubuntu 18.04:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1083936

It is caused by the Scribus PPA, which contains an updated libpoppler that
is incompatible with other apps on 18.04, including Inkscape.

The libpoppler package itself is properly versioned, which allows multiple
ABI versions to coexist. E.g., libpoppler-glib8 0.74.0-0ubuntu1.2~ppa0
depends on libpoppler85. The version of libpoppler-glib8
(0.62.0-2ubuntu2.10) which comes with the OS depends on libpoppler73.
Unfortunately, libpoppler-glib8 gets updated by the Scribus PPA. And
because inkscape depends on libpoppler-glib8, which drags in the
libpoppler85 library, it then crashes.

Would it be possible to name the libpoppler-glib8 with the ABI number in
the PPA, e.g. libpoppler85-glib8, to avoid this clash? For good measure,
libpoppler-qt5-1 probably needs the same treatment.

The alternative would be to run newer versions of Scribus as snaps,
appimage or flatpak on stable releases of Ubuntu, but I've never been a
great fan of those because each comes with it's own issues.

With kind regards,

Bert Driehuis